Swim With The Fishes...

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happy 2nd Birthday Lofton!

Last year I started a letter to Lofton for his birthday. To keep with traditions, something that seems to get harder and harder to do with the hustle and bustle of having a 2-year-old, I thought I'd do my best to keep this one. So, on his 2nd birthday, here is my letter to my little boy...








Lofton
,
As I sit here 2 years after your birth, trying to sum you up seems impossible. Emotions of this past year nearly overcome me. I'm amazed at the boy you have become, sadden by the baby you no longer are, tired from the crazy and busy year you've given me, and anxious about what's to come for you. There were so many changes...from walking to running, from no hair to a head full of curly and thick brown hair, from knowing a handful of words to saying whatever you want. The constant--your daddy and I love you so much and you bring so much joy to our lives.

Again, it's so hard to sum you up. You are so different every day as you learn and grow by the second. First, you are so stinkin' smart. I am blown away at the things you know, the things you learn and the things you say every day. I could never capture them all and my jaw drops pretty much every time you speak. I've done a poor job of recording a lot of your cute sayings and shocking intelligence, but simply because I would always be writing things down. You blow us, and others away. For a 2 year old, your verbal communication is staggering. I've never heard anything like it. I couldn't guess how many words you know because there are really no words you don't know or say. You speak in complete sentences--not just two or three word ones either. Tonight, you said "I put the washcloth in the dirty clothes basket." Yes, yes you did. You can count to 18 and rarely miss a number. You can sing your complete ABCs and so many other songs from your Mickey CD, Bible Song CD, Kid's Song CD...you hear the first few notes and name the song and begin to sing along. You LOVE to sing too! It's so cute to watch you sing, dance and clap along. Your notes home from school always say you loved music time and dancing! Back to the things you say--you are very polite and have even remembered lately to say "Please" and "Thank Chu" on your own! You love to say you're "Sorry" even if it's to your own knee you fell on or milk cup you knocked over. My favorite Lofton-isms include "I hold you" when you want to be carried, "Awwww Man!" when something doesn't go your way and "Lofton do it" or "I do it" when you want to remind me of your independence. Seriously, you talk constantly and I love it!











You are independent. You want to try everything and do everything on your own and for the most part, we let you. You don't frustrate too easily and do your best to not have to ask for help. You recently gave up your paci full time and we thought it would be such a struggle, but no...our big boy just handed it over and that was that. So independent. Along with your independence, you love to help. Anything we can let you do, from putting your clothes in the dirty clothes basket, throwing stuff away or helping with the groceries, you are your happiest when you're helping. I like to see you so proud when you know you've pitched in for our family!












Kid, you are funny! I think you get that from me! ;) Hey, I have to have something, everyone says you look just like your Daddy! You love to laugh and make others laugh. If we dare chuckle at a word you say, you repeat it over and over for the same reaction. You cut your eyes to make sure we listen when you think you're being funny. It's pretty cute! Another thing you got from me, your love for the thrill of scaring others. You will sit under pillows or cover your face behind your "Bear Bear" for forever waiting for the moment when you can pop out and say "Surprise" or be found! I love it. Daddy, not so much!! The best part, you also love to be scared so we have a lot of fun chasing one another and hiding from one another.












You are your daddy's bff and vice versa. I am not going to lie, sometimes I feel left out of the boy's club, but I wouldn't trade your love for one another for anything. You all play so hard and so constantly, I couldn't keep up anyway! Inside, outside, in the store, in the car and on and on, wherever you are with Dad is playtime. He loves you so much too. It's so obvious by how much he loves playing with you and being with you every second, but also by the big tears that fill his eyes when you say something sweet or he realizes you're growing up too fast. Man, he loves you.












Are you perfect, well no, but pretty close!! I find our most trying times to revolve around how passionate you can be about whatever you are doing. If we try to interrupt you to go to school when you're playing with your trains or to go have breakfast when you're watching Mickey, you get so distraught. You love the things you love and sometimes have a hard time leaving them. It never lasts long and I'd take passion and joy over complacency anytime! (You get that from your Dad!)











Lofton, you are all boy. I hate to fill the cliches, but you love balls, trains, being dirty, throwing sticks and rocks, jumping in puddles, climbing and running and jumping. You run everywhere and love when we can make anything a competition. Your little legs stayed filled with bruises from climbing on things and you are fearless. I love that about you and believe it or not, most of the time I let you be. You learn fast so I know you'll figure it out. Other things you love--Mickey (and friends), Big Bird (Sesame Street), stickers (yes, this one has hung around), milk, school and your friends at school, Belmont, your family (Nana, Pop, G.G., GrandDaddy, aunts, uncles, Mr. Clyde, Ms. Lavona, Myla, Luke,...), baths, your Monkey, Buster (dog), and most of all, Bear Bear!








I, in no way summarized you, but that's my best shot! There's just no way I could put into words the joy you bring to lives, the joy you have for life. My favorite part of the day is always when I'm walking out the door and you yell, "I lub you, I miss you, have a good day!" I love you too Lofton and can't wait to see what 2 years old will hold for you and the boy you will continue to become. Through it all, we will love you, be here for you, do our best to capture it in pictures and words and try to enjoy it with you. My prayer for you is that you continue to grow to be kind and compassionate and love life. As your new sign in your soon-to-be big boy room says...Color Outside the Lines!

All of my love and Happy Birthday LB,
Mommy (& Daddy)

4 comments:

Nana/Mom/Pop/Dad said...

What a wonderful letter to Lofton and what a wonderful little boy we all have the joy of watching grow up. Happy birthday, Lofton!! We love you.

Rita H. said...

How sweet. It almost made me cry. Hope Lofton enjoys his birthday. I wish I coud be there. Kiss him for me.

Jen said...

Beautiful post, KellY!

davidFISH said...

You take time out of your schedule every week to sit down and share these wonderful stories that will one day become a diary of Lofton's life. This is an amazing love letter that makes me cry each time I read it. We love you, "Mommy."